Sunday, August 30, 2009

Question's answer

A query I forgot to answer.
  1. I wanted to ask you a question, I have this pattern from the US for a newborn baby cardigan which I want to make for a friend's son, it says use US size 8 needles. What size would they be in Indian size and also, approx what thickness of yarn does one need for that?
thanks!
From K

Mansi replies:
US Size *8 is actually a 5mm needle. Its UK size 6 so what we get as double wool should do. Use two strands of the normal wool to get the thick chunky effect for a cardigan. Avoid the baby soft wool that you get in small packs of 6 or 12, the yarn may be too thin. To put a border for this you may need UK size 8.The main body is knitted in size 6 UK.
This needle size fits most patterns with double wool. ( Double wool in India has 4 strings of yarn) The US double wool is very different.

By the way I haven't been kind to the colourful baby wool in the market. As one of my friends said they are very colorful and you can try your creative knitting with them. Mobile purses or coasters or telephone covers. Use needle UK size 10 or 12 for a fabric like effect.

My Next project is a scarf that can be buttoned on the neck. Its a two color scarf and I shall try my skill at using two colours!





1 comment:

Em said...

Hi,

Bumped into your blog while trawling the Internet. I want to start knitting, but Youtube just surprised me with too many lessons. Would be really helpful if you could give some pointers on where to start and also, if you finally found stuff in Chikpet :)

Cheers,
M.
methejughead@gmail.com